We have just returned from an almost 3 week adventure in the USA. Starting with 10 days in New York where we met the Australian contingent of our family for a reunion/celebration, we then ventured to the Southern Most Point of the country for guaranteed winter sun in Key West, ending our trip in the bright lights of Miami.
Here is my top 10 (in no particular order):
- Ninth St Espresso (NYC)- don't be put off by the menu or milk options - I loved choosing exactly how much frothed milk went into possibly the best cup of coffee I have had in my distant memory.
- Tenement Museum(NYC) - the new Whitney was sensational, the Guggenheim reminded me of the genius of Frank Lloyd Wright, the Neue Gallery still has the best cafe, but the Tenement Museum was a fabulously interactive experience and really illustrated the life of the building, the neighbourhood and its residents. A must visit.
- Black Seed Bagels (NYC) - owned by the Mile End Deli team, these are worth breaking any diet for. Especially the salt and the everything bagels. Stuffed with white fish salad.
- ABC Kitchen (NYC)- No visit to New York is complete without a meal at ABC Kitchen. Needless to say I was especially relieved to find the sundae with salted caramel ice cream, candied peanuts & popcorn, whipped cream, chocolate sauce was still on the menu.
- Sushi Seki (NYC) - sitting at the bar, eating the most sublime omakase, may have been my favourite evening of the adventure.
- Petite Shell Chocolate Babka (NYC) - we tasted a lot of babka in a relatively short period of time, and this won hands down. Thank you to my almost twin for ordering and delivering it to us. You so know the way to my heart!
- Bad Boy Burrito (Key West) - I am a sucker for Mexican food, especially as it is virtually impossible to find in London. Hence when Stateside, I try to gorge myself with as much as can be tolerated by my traveling companions.
- Louie's Backyard (Key West) - classic American fair with a stupendous terrace and view. A must if you are in the neighbourhood.
- Key West Sunsets - a perfectly mesmerising end to our days
- The Raleigh Miami Beach - I am true devotee of early/mid 20th Century design, and the lobby, terrace and pool at the Raleigh makes me want to move in forever. It is an oasis of calm and class in the midst of the surrounding bright lights and glitz.
Here are some other highlights in visual form: