The oil from the shallots is sublime and I often use it to rub on chicken before it is cooked. The oil should never be wasted – use it on everything from sauteing vegetables, bases for dressings or marinades, even frying eggs!
- 8-10 banana shallots peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml olive oil (approx depending on your dish)
- Place shallots in a small pan
- Add the bay leaves and cover with oil. The shallots need to be completely submerged, so the oil quantity is really a guide.
- Simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes until the shallots are lightly golden and soft.
- Transfer confit shallots and oil to a clean jar and refrigerate once cooled. Keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge
Have you made this dish?
Let me know what you think, share your efforts and any tweaks you made to the recipe on Instagram, don’t forget to tag #BuildingFeasts or email me on firstname.lastname@example.org